Last updated July 21, 2009
Virtual Post Solutions, Inc. (the “Company”, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that gives you the most powerful and safe online experience. This policy applies to the Virtual Post Mail web site, virtualpostmail.com (“Site”) and governs data collection and usage. By using the Site, you consent to the data practices described in this statement.
You can browse our Sites without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Once you give us your personal information, you are not anonymous to us. If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
We may collect and store the following personal information:
- Email address, physical contact information, and (depending on the service used) sometimes financial information, such as credit card or bank account numbers;
- Transactional information based on your activities on the Sites (such as posting, sharing, rating and content you generate or that relates to your account);
- Shipping, billing and other information you provide to purchase a service or use our forwarding services;
- Community discussions, chats, dispute resolution, correspondence through our Sites, and correspondence sent to us;
- Other information from your interaction with our Sites, services, content and advertising, including computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- Information from other companies, such as demographic and traffic data; and
- Other supplemental information from third parties (for example, if you incur a debt to the Company, we will generally conduct a credit check by obtaining additional information about you from a credit bureau, as permitted by law; or if the information you provide cannot be verified, we may ask you to send us additional information, such as your driver license, credit card statement, or a recent utility bill or other information confirming your address, or to answer additional questions online to help verify your information).
We don’t sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. We may combine your information with information we collect from other companies and use it to improve and personalize our services, content and advertising. If you don’t wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference once you sign-on in My Account (or similar account status page) or by following the directions provided in an email or from a link on the advertisement.
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. You agree that we may use your personal information to:
- Provide the services and customer support you request;
- Resolve disputes, collect fees, and troubleshoot problems;
- Customize, measure and improve our services, content and advertising;
- Tell you about targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences; and
- Compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties.
Our Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose personal information to respond to legal requirements, enforce our policies, respond to claims to content that violates the rights of others, or protect anyone’s rights, property, or safety.
We may also share your personal information with:
- Members of our corporate family to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and provide joint content and services (for example, registration, transactions and customer support). Our corporate affiliates will send marketing communications only to users who request these services.
- Service providers under contract who help with our business operations (such as fraud investigations, bill collection and affiliate and rewards programs).
- Other third parties to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service).
- Law enforcement or other governmental officials, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged illegal activity. In such events, we will disclose information relevant to the investigation, such as name, city, state, zip code, telephone number, email address, User ID history, IP address, fraud complaints, and browsing history.
Without limiting the above, in an effort to respect your privacy and our ability to keep the community free from bad actors, we will not otherwise disclose your personal information to law enforcement, other government officials, or other third parties without a subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, except when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report suspected illegal activity.
Activity Associated with User IDs
Your User ID is displayed throughout the Sites and is therefore available to the public. All of your activity on our Sites is traceable to your User ID. Other people can see your posts, other contributed content that you have shared in the past, feedbacks, associated comments, and so on. Notices are sent to other community members regarding suspicious activity and policy violations on our Sites and refer to User IDs and specific content. Therefore, if you associate your name with your User ID, the people to whom you have revealed your name will be able to personally identify your Site activities.
A few important things you should know about cookies are that:
- Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted from your hard drive at the end of a session.
- You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although doing so may interfere with your use of some of our Sites or services.
- You may encounter cookies from third parties on certain pages of the Sites that we do not control. (For example, if you view a web page created by another user, there may be a cookie placed by that web page.)
No Spam, Spyware or Spoofing
Your password is the key to your account. Use unique numbers, letters and special characters, and do not disclose your Site password to anyone. If you do share your password or your personal information with others, remember that you are responsible for all actions taken in the name of your account. If you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personal information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately notify us and change your password.
Accessing, Reviewing and Changing Your Personal Information
Your information is stored on our servers located in the United States. We treat data as an asset that must be protected and use lots of tools (encryption, passwords, physical security, etc.) to protect your personal information against unauthorized access and disclosure. However, as you probably know, third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications, and other users may abuse or misuse your personal information that they collect from the Site. Therefore, although we work very hard to protect your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information or private communications will always remain private.