Virtual Post Mail Check Deposit Service (CDS) deposits your checks by using your bank’s mail-in deposit service. The following is an overview of the process:
- You receive new mail, have it opened and scanned, and discover that there’s a check inside.
- You submit a check deposit request to us over email.
- Your deposit is mailed out to your bank.
- Your bank receives and processes your deposit.
- You get the money in your bank account.
To use Virtual Post Mail CDS:
- You must have a Virtual Post Mailbox in good standing.
- The mail containing the check must be opened and scanned first.
- Your bank must support mail-in deposit.
- The name on the check must match the name of the bank account.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Have your mail opened and scanned
You need to have the mail piece opened and scanned before a deposit can be done. This step is required to confirm that there is a check inside the mail and also act as an authorization for us to access the contents of your mail.
2. Send check deposit request through email
Write down the mail item number (long string of numbers usually next or below the mail image) and the check amount. Then send an email to us at deposit (at) virtualpostmail.com. The email must contain the following information for us to process your request as fast as possible.
- Mailbox Number – For verification purposes.
- Items and check amounts – The mail item number containing the check and the check amount. To deposit more than one check, please include item number and check amount for each check.
- Total amount to deposit – Add all the check amounts to be deposited.
- Bank Account Info – Provide the bank name, bank account number to deposit into, and the owner name on the account.
- Mail-in address – The mailing address to send the deposit to. If the bank is one of the supported banks listed below, you don’t need to include the address. But by including the address, your deposit request will get processed faster.
For your convenience, a sample email template has been included that you can copy and paste when submitting a request to us. Just fill in the appropriate information.
Dear VPM, Please deposit the following checks on my behalf. Mailbox Number: Bank: Account Number: Name on Account: Item Number: Check amount: Item Number: Check amount: Item Number: Check amount: Total Check Amount: Thank you! Love your awesome great service! :)
Ok, the last line is optional, but it makes us feel good.
3. Add Additional Services (Optional)
- Delivery Method – Each deposit includes free mail delivery using USPS First Class Mail. If you wish to use other delivery options (ie. Priority Mail, Certified Mail, Delivery Confirmation), include them in your request. Additional charges will apply.
- Foreign Checks – Many banks will allow you to deposit foreign checks. If you get these, make sure to specify the currency in the request. We will also make a special note on the deposit slip for you.
How Your Request Gets Processed
Once your request is received, we will perform the following:
- We will fill out a custom deposit slip with the bank information you gave us.
- Each check will be endorsed “For Deposit Only” with your bank account number written below it.
- Deposit slip and checks will be placed in a secure envelope and mailed out to the proper location.
Virtual Post Mail actively maintains a list of mailing addresses for banks that we have made deposits to in the past. Below is a partial list of banks we support. It is not comprehensive.
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
We can mail in the deposit to any bank as long as that bank supports mail-in deposit. Many online banks and online brokerage firms accept deposits by mail. If you’re not sure, call to find out first.