As a digital nomad, you’re no stranger to traveling, but you have a problem. You don’t really have a home base (the world is your home). You’ve perfected being a digital nomad, running your online business - as a digital nomad entrepreneur - but your business will still need a home base to present to customers. How crazy would it be if your customers saw your business changing locations every time you moved around? One day, it’s in California, and the next thing they know, it’s in Taiwan. As a chronic traveler, you are free to travel anywhere you like, but your online business should remain present in one set location.
If you’re a digital nomad entrepreneur and want to convey a sense of professionalism, then you’ll want the appearance of having a physical office (perhaps even one with a prestigious address) and a permanent address for your business. How can you do this? You can use a virtual mailbox.
What is a Virtual Mailbox
First, a virtual mailbox is a service that allows you to access and read your mail online from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection and device. Think of it as similar to email. Sounds perfect for a digital nomad like yourself, right?
At your discretion, VPM’s virtual mailbox service will scan and digitally send your mail to you, so you are up to date with important correspondence that is sent to you (bills, invoices, taxes - that stuff). Some of the key features a virtual mailbox provides are shredding, recycling, and disposal. The same goes for your packages.
And get this - VirtualPostMail (VPM) registered agent services are available at all of its locations for FREE (more on this below)!
How Does a Virtual Mailbox Work
It’s easy to begin getting your mail in your virtual mailbox. You can follow these general steps to get a virtual mailbox:
- Pick your VPM virtual mailbox plan.
- Complete the USPS 1583 form - you can find detailed instructions and resources to complete this form for VPM account holders only.
- Request a Change of Address with USPS - this will let USPS know to forward your mail to a new address. The address you enter can be updated whenever necessary. You have the ability to make this change either online or in person. Learn how to file a change of address with USPS.
- Once your request for a change of address has been processed, you can have your mail and packages sent to the new virtual mailbox address as soon as the mail arrives. It will then be scanned and uploaded to your virtual mailbox account.
- Log in to your new virtual mailbox account and decide on what you want to do with your mail. Choose from these options: mail scanning, mail forwarding, deleting, shredding, or storing.
Why You Need a Virtual Mailbox as a Digital Nomad
There are many reasons why you would benefit from using a virtual mailbox. Below are just a few of the most beneficial ones.
Maintain a permanent address no matter how much you move. With a virtual mailbox, you can have a truly permanent address. VPM addresses are owned, so that means your location stays for the long term.
Get paid faster by your customers. You can use your virtual mailbox to receive payments from clients and let VPM deposit your checks for you. This way, you won't have to worry about going to the bank every time you receive a check when you’re busy traveling.
Act on important business decisions and communications. Let your virtual mailbox notify you about your personal and business bills in real-time, so you don't miss a payment, invoice, or taxes! Your virtual mailbox will automatically save you time by digitizing your mail. All you have to do is decide what to do with it such as archive, keep, or trash. It makes record-keeping a breeze!
Get important mail items in your hands with mail forwarding. Get what you want and need (like that credit card). When you’re in a new country, you won't have to worry about waiting on any government and financial documents.
Get all your legal documents quick so you can stay compliant. You will need a permanent address for your business to stay compliant and legally registered and to file taxes, licenses, bank loans, credit cards, and other government-related documents. As a digital nomad, almost everything needs an address, which can be difficult for you. But, don’t fret. A virtual mailbox has you covered! A virtual mailbox will provide you with an address, so you can use that to take care of business without complications. It’s your physical address attached to a commercial office building. Worry less about updating or changing your address for the long term!
Get the brands you need to run your business anywhere. Just because you are often traveling does not mean you won't order things online or have packages sent to you. Virtual mailboxes will take care of your packages for you, forwarding them to wherever your current location is. Use package forwarding similar to your mail!
How is a Virtual Mailbox Better Than Using Your Friends or Family
Your friends and family members are great resources and helpful for many things. But, mail might not be one of them. Even if they agree to help you with your mailing and package needs, here’s why a virtual mailbox service is better suited for your digital nomad lifestyle.
- You won't miss important mail or documents - No matter how responsible your friends or family members are, people get busy. When they get busy, they might let responsibilities of lesser priority slip through. Don’t risk missing important mail or documents. Instead, use a virtual mailbox service, where your mail is the top priority.
- You'll get immediate access to your mail - Again, people are busy. Your friends and family might not be able to immediately send your mail updates as soon as they are delivered. With a virtual mailbox, you won't have to worry about delayed notifications or access to your mail.
- You can decide what to do with mail and packages - If you want your mail and packages forwarded, shredded, recycled, or disposed of, it can become quite complicated for your friends/family to keep up with your requests. Virtual mailboxes are securely designed to handle those responsibilities on your behalf!
- You don't have to risk your privacy - This is not to say that you can’t trust your friends or family, but do you want them to see your bank account statement and all your banking information? Your mail is a matter of serious privacy, and virtual mailboxes have strict procedures that must be followed to ensure that your private information stays secured and protected.
- You don't have to burden them - Face it. It’s a big favor to ask your friends and family to take care of your mail. With a virtual mailbox, you won’t have to worry about bogging them down with extra tasks to manage and handle your mail and packages.
VPM For Digital Nomads
VPM was created for digital nomads who are unable to access their mail physically, but still need to access and read their mail. VPM was thinking of you! VPM provides you with a physical street address that can be used to receive mail and packages. This address can serve as a physical street address that you can use for registering your online business, taxes, credit cards, and other government-related documents that require a permanent address.
With this business address, you can convey the appearance of having a physical office and maintain a professional business image, all while ensuring your privacy and security. Changing your personal address, as you may often do, will not have an effect on the address and services provided by VPM.
VPM accepts all couriers, including FedEx, UPS, and USPS. As the only virtual mailbox service to own all of their addresses, VPM reduces the risk of lost mail and delays. You can expect your mail to be processed much faster because everything comes to one of the owned locations rather than through a third party, which increases mail loss and longer delivery delays.
Pros of VirtualPostMail
- Free mail and package storage for 60 days
- Unlimited cloud storage
- Top-tier customer service support
- No cancellation fee
- Check depositing service
- No setup fee
- Package forwarding
- Mail forwarding
Cons of VirtualPostMail
- VPM does not have a mobile app that allows you to manage your mail on your Android or iOS device
- A limited selection of locations to choose from (3 locations)
What Do You Need to Pick a Virtual Mailbox
As a rule of thumb here are some questions to ask yourself and identify your virtual mailbox needs.
- How much mail do you receive on average monthly? (This will determine the package you choose; the less mail you get, the cheaper it is).
- How often do you need your mail forwarded?
- Do you get checks that need depositing?
- What are the locations you need to ship to?
Ready For a Virtual Mailbox
A virtual mailbox can help make your life as a digital nomad much easier by providing a permanent address, allowing you to get paid faster with check depositing, immediately notifying you of new documents, bills, etc., forwarding mail and packages, and managing your legal documents. Consider your needs, and see which virtual mailbox options and locations work best for you.
So, there you have it! As a digital nomad entrepreneur, you live an exciting and mobile life. However, you still need to take care of business and stay up-to-date with important notices and correspondence. Why not relieve some of that responsibility and stress with a virtual mailbox service? Let the virtual mailbox take care of the boring details, so you can fully focus on your work and exciting travels. Think you’re ready for that?